So we stayed up extra-late last night (on a school night!) to watch the Oscar telecast to the bitter end. You see, if you’ve been paying attention, there was a somewhat heated competition going on between me and my colleague over at Blobby’s blog. For the second year in a row, Mr. Blobby has challenged me to a contest that puts our knowledge of everything Hollywood to the test. And for the second year in a row – amazingly enough – the competition has ended in a tie! Go figure! How did Blobby even get CLOSE to me?
I must admit – there were a few nail-biting moments during last night’s Oscars. At one point, Blobby was two points ahead of me (Hello Sheer Luck? It’s Blobby calling.) But then because I had smartly tapped deep into my exhaustive knowledge about what it takes to pull off a win in the “Sound Mixing” and “Documentary – Short Subject” categories, I was able to tie things back up. From that point forward, the game was over, as we had pretty much selected the same answers in the major categories.
So about that wager…the winner was supposed to receive a free, frosty beverage of his choice this summer, when Blobby and 710 visit Boston on their way to their summer getaway in Maine. But now, because of the tie, Blobby writes on his blog: “I’m happy to go dutch on drinks and dinner this July when we are back in Boston.”
Yes, I’m happy to go dutch too. Why don’t you let me get the first round? I think a nice tall glass of water with a healthy slice of lemon would suffice, just to make sure you’re sufficiently hydrated. Then you can pick up the second round. I’ll have a double Bombay Sapphire martini, straight up, dirty, with extra olives and a side of chicken wings. Thanks in advance, my friend!
Blobby ended his Oscar wrap-up post by saying something very nice – proof that inside, deep, deep, deep inside, he’s a decent guy. I’m happy to call him a friend and even happier that he’s buying the second round.
So a few thoughts about the Oscars…
- Am I the only one who thinks Adele was lip-synching? Catherine Zeta-Jones certainly was during the Chicago number.
- Does Anne Hathaway read ANY of the negative coverage she’s been receiving this entire award season, with her over-the-top, doe-eyed, fake humility, “Oh my god, this is happening” schtick? So tiresome. You think she might have tried something different at the Oscars.
- Shirley Bassey rocked “Goldfinger” no?
- What tragedy has befallen Renee Zellweger’s face? Not to sound mean, but sheesh…
- What was with all the facial hair? Ben Affleck. George Clooney. Hugh Jackman. Catherine Zeta-Jones…
- Never knew much about Seth McFarlane, but he did a decent job hosting. The opening number went on a little long, and I could do without William Shatner. His “Flying Nun” spot with Sally Field was hilarious.
- Heard a clip on the radio this morning of Barbra Streisand singing her tribute to Marvin Hamlisch. Perfection. Watching last night? Totally distracted by her jewelry and Morticia Adams get-up.
- Poor Jennifer Lawrence tripped up the steps. She was a good sport and handed it with grace and wit but it made me wonder why ladies who wear these long gowns don’t practice walking up stairs.
- Best acceptance speech of the night? Daniel Day-Lewis.
- Is Jack Nicholson creepier than ever or is it just me?
- Say what you will about Blobby, but he totally owned Bjork’s swan dress. I told him he didn’t have the gams to pull it off, but he proved me wrong.