Friday, October 1, 2010

Rick Sanchez fired from CNN

I was wondering how Rick Sanchez managed to stay employed for so long. I've only flipped by his "news" program ("Rick's List") a few times but was always taken by his blowhardedness (I think I just made up a word) and his attempts to be outrageous. Seems CNN finally had enough of his showboating this week when he called Jon Stewart a "bigot" and said that CNN and other news networks are run by Jewish people. Oh - I certainly realize there's plenty of "news reporters" like Rick Sanchez around - both on liberal CNN, conservative FOX, and every flavor in between. How about we get rid of all these yahoos and return to the days when watching the news meant getting the news - not some entertainer's opinion. Bye-bye Rick!

For some reason, I can't embed this clip -- but if you're interested in seeing Rick in action, here's what happened last February when he was hosting a CNN program covering the tsunami warning in Hawaii. First, Rick interrupts a scientist who's explaining about a nine meter drop in the ocean to ask, "By the way, nine meters in English is...?". Then watch as he blows up at the guy as he's trying to explain that the nine meter drop doesn't necessarily mean there will be a nine meter rise. Check it out at about the 1:40 mark.

3 comments:

  1. I remember Rick Sanchez when he was the local anchor for the independent station in Miami... He always had the "If it bleeds, it leads" mentality. I am not a CNN junkie but saw him a couple weeks ago while waiting at the dentist's office. The root canal was much less painful than the 10 minutes I had to re-endure his showmanship.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You just made my day! Can't stand him. I wasn't able to link to the clip you posted but I've seen him do the same thing you described with other experts - actually painful to watch him. Bye-bye is right!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mike - I completely agree with you about watching the news w/o the need for a broadcaster's editorial. I suppose that is why the only news broadcast I regularly watch and believe to be fairly independent is the News Hour on PBS.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...