Saturday, July 17, 2010

Can someone explain Judge Judy to me?


I saw a news report yesterday that Judy Sheindlin, star of the daytime small claims court reality show “Judge Judy”, has just signed a contract for the next season of her program that’s worth $45 million. And to top it off, the report says she works just 52 days a year, taping multiple episodes of her program each day. I’m no math genius, but that means Judge Judy earns more than $800,000 each day she shows up at the studio.

And putting aside for the moment the obscene amount of money she’s pulling down (and I know she’s not the only one - lots of corporate bigwigs, sports stars, and entertainers make that much and more), I’m trying to understand the allure of her TV show. It’s often on one of the big TV monitors at the gym while I’m on the treadmill. Isn’t it pretty much just Jerry Springer’s show set in a courtroom? And who are these dopey folks who sign up to be on her show and get berated in front of some 6.6 million viewers?

Judy Sheindlin is probably a very nice person “in real life” and who knows; maybe I’m just jealous of someone who can pull down nearly a million bucks a day. But am I missing something here? What makes Judge Judy so popular?

7 comments:

  1. I do not watch that show. I believe Judge Judy is too old to be comfrotable to watch any longer. I mean, her show was on when I was like 6 and she looks the same. I think she died and then was resurrected by an agent Egyptian medicine man who gave her the gift of eternal life. That's why I'm jealous of her. How does she derserve eternal life and I'm rotting in the desert in the middle of summer?
    Back to what you were asking..I may not watch but if I do, it's because I'm waiting for her too shoot flames out of her eyes....because I know she can.
    People who get resurrected can do that sort of thing.
    At least, in my head they can.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really don't know who watches Judge Judy...I haven't watched it in years...Who is home at 10:00 in the morning to watch it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I cant stand her...never have been able to, she is just rude.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't get it - the TV show is not appealing to me, and I can't believe that people want to call that "reality TV" - to me it's just cheesy entertainment!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't watch it; too boring.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Holy crap that is a lot of moolah!

    And I too have never watched her show; okay I did for five minutes, the people were so annoying I have never gone back. I saw her interviewed on tv once and thought she was actually quitre samrt, but still that much money?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I must be the only one in here who likes Judge Judy..always have. she's no nonsense, can smell a lie before the idiot who believes he can tell it and get away with it has even come up with it yet, and she just plain and simple doesn't play...with anyone..I love that..lol

    I love how you know before the session even starts someone is gonna get handed their rear with a huge bite taken out of it...lol..that's the appeal to me.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...