Saturday, July 3, 2010

Have you seen my running mojo?


I seem to have lost my running mojo. Perhaps I dropped it in Las Vegas or in New York while I was on back-to-back business trips? Or maybe I left at my parent's house, right next to the glider on the front porch, where it was easier to crack open a cold beer and enjoy the afternoon breeze than going to the gym. In any case, I've been having trouble getting back into the swing of things after a few week's respite.

Since February, I'd been running 3-4 times a week. And combined with trying to eat healthier (better food choices and smaller portons), I've dropped 16 pounds. So far, I've been able to keep the weight off, but just feel sluggish when I think about lacing up my running shoes.

Perhaps there's hope? This afternoon, I went to the Boston Sports Club where I decided to mix it up by decreasing the time I was going to run, but amping up the intensity. I was buoyed by Podrunner, a new podcast I've discovered that provides free music mixes for "runners, joggers, power walkers, cyclists, aerobics, or anyone who can use nonstop, fixed-tempo music when they train." Creator Steve Boyett is a California-based DJ who's created a series of high-energy mixes, all programmed at between 130 and 180 beats per minute. Thanks to you, DJ Steve -- I completed today's (shortened) run and may be on my way out of my running stupor. Fingers crossed...

2 comments:

  1. Mike!

    I'm blaming my lack of running on the intense summer heat!

    I'll start running again in the fall when things are cooler....maybe!

    -Dean

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just think of the end result and hopefully that would be motivation? I use to run on the threadmill like 4-5 times a week as well - not long distances - but now I prefer cycling - so I can do about 35 minutes in any one shot on high intensity cycling.

    Good luck - also yoga can be good as well - do you do Vinyasa yoga?

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...