Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Try this: Summer potato salad

So we were visiting our friends Bill and Andrew up at their new home in Ogunquit, Maine over the holiday. Bill’s an avid reader and has a huge collection of cookbooks. Since I love to cook and am addicted to pretty much anything that’s broadcast on "The Food Network" (sorry Guy Fieri…I said “pretty much anything”), it’s a given that I also enjoy flipping through a good cookbook.

I’m sorry to say that I can’t give proper credit for the following recipe. The book it printed in was sitting on Bill and Andrew’s staircase and as breakfast was being prepared, I found this recipe for potato salad that I quickly transcribed onto my iPad. I had to make a few adjustments, but it still turned out great, and is now my favorite summer potato salad. Even Peter, a potato salad snob, termed this one a winner.

Summer potato salad  
  • 1 red onion (I used a vadalia)
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 31/4 lbs waxy potatoes (I used small, red bliss)
  • 3 tablespoons capers
  • 1/2 cup chopped parsley
  • juice of 1.5 lemons
  • 1/2 cup olive oil
  • 1/2 cup black olives, roughly chopped (I used green. A combination of black and green would probably be even more delicious.)
  • 1 can anchovies packed in oil
Slice onion very thinly and cover with ice cold water and salt. Let soak for 30 minutes and then drain and pat dry with paper towels.

Meanwhile, boil potatoes in salted water for 20-25 minutes. Drain well and cool slightly, cut into bite-size chunks. 

Whisk together lemon juice, chopped up anchovies, and olive oil. 

Add all other ingredients to the potatoes. Pour lemon juice mixture over the potatoes and mix gently. Add salt and pepper to taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...