Monday, April 18, 2011

Try this: Martha's New Spinach Salad

I tried out a great new recipe from the latest issue of Martha Stewart's magazine tonight. Both Peter and I love to cook - but I was especially inspired when I saw some of my online friends Blobby and Bo were posting tales of their latest, delicious-looking adventures in the kitchen. 


So over the weekend, I clipped out Martha's recipe for "New Spinach Salad", her modern take on the classic mixture of spinach, hard-boiled egg, and bacon. It was my first time poaching eggs, and I must admit that they came out quite beautifully. In fact, once I had composed the salads on our plates for dinner, I was so taken by their beauty that I commenced chowing down without snapping a photo. So you'll have to believe me that I actually made this recipe. 


It's pretty simple...and looks great on the plate. Very sophisticated, don't you know? If you try it, let me know what you think. 


Martha's New Spinach Salad

For the poached eggs
1 tablespoon white vinegar
4 large eggs

For the salad
3 tablespoons olive oil
4 (or more) fingerling potatoes, blanched and sliced crosswise into 1/2 inch thick slices
5 ounces baby spinach
one link of cooked (not dried) chorizo, sliced crosswise into 1/2 inch thick slices

For the dressing
2 tablespoons minced shallot
1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
salt and pepper


  1. Poach the eggs. Add white vinegar to a large saucepan of simmering water. Crack eggs into water, 1 at a time. Poach until whites are set but yolks are still runny, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a paper-towel lined plate using a slotted spoon.
  2. Make the salad. Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a high-sided skillet over medium heat. Cook potatoes until golden, about 5-6 minutes per side. Transfer to a large bowl using a slotted spoon and add spinach. Add remaining tablespoon of oil to skillet. Cook chorizo until golden brown, about 3 minutes per side. Add to bowl using slotted spoon.
  3. Make the dressing. Remove skillet from heat. Add shallot and let cook for 30 seconds. Swirl in vinegar.
  4. Pour dressing over salad and toss. Season with salt and pepper. Divide salad among four plates. Top each with an egg.

2 comments:

  1. Well since you singled me out and I'm always looking for new things to make, I will try this. I will credit you (and Martha, I suppose, if I have to) - and I WILL take pictures.

    Wait....you subscribe to Martha Stewart? You were THE man who doesn't do b'way musicals yet, THIS? {sigh} :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mike...Martha is right you should have taken a picture...I'm not big on salads, but potatoes and chorizo make it hearty enough I think I'd like it.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...