Thursday, June 3, 2010

I coulda been a contender on Millionaire


Here’s a chance to test your knowledge (trivial) with 12 million-dollar questions from the hit TV show “Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?”. Just answer each question and the quiz will move you along until you’re done. Then it will reveal how many you got right. I got six correct. I should have studied harder in school!

Probably eight or nine years ago, I auditioned for “Millionaire” when it did a contestant search at the Park Plaza Hotel here in Boston. I took a half-day of vacation to go stand in a long line that snaked down the block. Right in front of me was this guy who was quizzing everyone within earshot with questions from his “Millionaire” quiz book, and then making faces when people guessed wrong. (Yeah, it’s easy when you have the answer key in front of you.) We were all herded into a massive ballroom and given pens and a lengthy multiple choice quiz. Out of the probably 200 people in the room, only about 20 scored high enough to stay for the second round. Yes, I was in that group…and no, the guy with the quiz book was not!

The second round consisted of a 2-minute interview with a panel of three program producers, all of whom looked about 13 years old. Evidently, I was unable to charm them with my wit or otherwise demonstrate what a great addition I’d be to the show, because I never got called back. Shortly after my failed audition, the nighttime version of “Millionaire” got cancelled. Coincidence or kharma?

Anyway – take the quiz and let me know in the comments section below how you did. Can you beat six right?

2 comments:

  1. I got half right! (which means half wrong!) I missed the "5th grader" questions, like Paddington, periodic elements and landlocked countries : (

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can I try again? I'm not happy with my score.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...