So in the interest of “paying it forward”, let me share one my favorite Martha recipes. I’ve made this at least a dozen times and it always gets rave reviews. It’s easy to make and perfect for your summer cook-out.
Orzo Salad with Roasted Carrots and Dill
- 3 lbs. carrots (I used already-peeled baby carrots, but Martha recommends 4 bunches of carrots. Of course that means you grow them yourself, organically of course, and then have your staff harvest them for you)
- 4 garlic gloves, unpeeled
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Coarse salt
- 1 pound orzo
- Grated zest and juice of two lemons
- 4 scallions, white and green parts, roughly chopped
- ½ cup loosely packed fresh dill, roughly chopped
- Freshly ground pepper
Bring a large saucepan of water to a boil; add salt. Stir in the orzo; cook until al dente, according to package instructions, about 7 minutes. Drain, and while still hot, transfer the orzo to a large bowl and toss with the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Let cool slightly, and add the roasted carrots.
In a small bowl, mix together the lemon zest, lemon juice, scallions, and roasted garlic. Add the dill and pour the mixture over the orzo mixture. Stir to combine; season with salt and pepper. Serve or store, covered with plastic wrap, in the fridge. Bring to room temperature before serving.