Sunday, August 1, 2010

Try this: Raisin-Honey Milk Bread


I got this recipe from an old issue of Cooking Light magazine. It was the first time I’ve ever made a yeast-based bread and it turned out great. I forgot how much I like raisin bread. Should be good for breakfast, toasted with a little butter.

Raisin-Honey Milk Bread 
  • 1 cup warm milk
  • ¼ cup honey (divided)
  • 1 package dry yeast
  • 2 large egg yolks, lightly beaten
  • 3 ½ cups flour (divided)
  • 1 cup raisins
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • cooking spray 

Combine milk, 1 tablespoon honey, and yeast in bowl. Stir with a whisk; let stand for five minutes. Stir in remaining 3 tablespoons honey and yolks.

In a separate bowl, combine 3 cups flour, raisins, and salt. Add milk mixture, stirring until a soft dough forms. Turn dough onto floured surface. Knead until smooth and elastic (about eight minutes); add enough of the remaining ½ cup flour, 1 tablespoon at a time, to prevent dough from sticking to your fingers. Dough will remain slightly sticky.

Place dough in large bowl coated with cooking spray. Cover dough with towel and place in warm place away from drafts for about 75 minutes or until doubled in size. Gently press two fingers into dough. If indents remain, the dough has risen enough. NOTE: My dough didn’t quite double in size, but I continued with the recipe and it was fine.

Punch dough down; cover and let rest for five minutes.

Shape dough into 9x4 oval and place in center of baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Cover and let rise 55 minutes or until dough is doubled in size.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bake bread for 30 minutes or until browned and loaf sounds hollow when tapped. Cool on wire rack 20 minutes before slicing. 

2 comments:

  1. OK...this bread looks DELISH! I might have to try it.

    I just wanted to stop by and thank you for commenting on my blog. As for the Top 10 "don't" for guys - I'm on it as we speak - expect to see a post about it in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi Mike I also love bread with raisins for breakfast on sunday for example and if you like french food come and vist me you are very welcome ! cheers de Paris Pierre

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...