Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Try these: White Trash Christmas Nuggets


With all due respect to Rachael Ray, some of the food she showcases on her TV shows and in her magazine don’t look so appetizing. I must say, however, that a few year’s ago, I found this recipe in her monthly magazine, and I made a batch to bring to my sister’s house for Christmas. I long ago tossed the recipe, so I don’t know what Rachael really calls these, but “White Trash Christmas Nuggets” seems to fit the bill. My sister asks for them every year, and honestly, they are pretty good: chocolately, crunchy, salty, and sweet.

These are very simple to assemble. Start with a bag of Kraft caramels. Unwrap them, and then roll each one into a flat disc with a rolling pin. Wrap a small pretzel nugget (I used Snyder’s of Hanover’s Sourdough Nibblers) in each disc, using your fingers to stretch the caramel to completely cover the pretzel. Using toothpicks or a fork, dip the covered pretzels into melted, semisweet chocolate chips and place on a foil- or parchment paper-covered cookie sheet. Before the chocolate hardens, sprinkle the pretzels with finely chopped, roasted almonds. Put the cookie sheet in the fridge until the chocolate is set.

So what’s your favorite, white trash holiday recipe?

3 comments:

  1. I'm ok with everything but the nut part. No can do.

    I haven't actually made it, but I've eaten it - and hate to say I like it:

    Chex Puppy Chow.

    http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1710,158182-234196,00.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheese whiz spray in the can and saltines. Oh, and lime jello too.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...