Saturday, February 18, 2012

A fishy situation

I hear Peter rustling around our tiny cabin; it’s 4:30 am, and he’s got the door open and I can hear a repetitive splashing sound. “Come here, you’ve got to see this,” he says. So I throw on my sweatpants and a t-shirt and step outside. There, shining silver in the water, are thousands and thousands of fish, each more than a foot long. Our boat is completely surrounded and every few seconds, a fish jumps or flips, making a gentle splash. (In the morning, crew members tell us that they were probably either mackerel or barracuda.)  Unfortunately, because it was so dark, it was impossible to grab a photo that I could share on my blog, but it was truly an amazing and humbling sight. Peter is wide-awake and heads upstairs to the observation deck to do some yoga stretches; I return to the cabin for a few more hours of shut-eye.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...