Note: I have no idea what "3 lbs. of apples" looks like. I just filled the 9x13 baking dish. To compensate, I doubled the rest of the ingredients. The applesauce came out great.
1/4 cup water
6 tablespoons brown sugar
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
pinch of coarse salt
2 tablespoons butter
3 lbs small assorted apples
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
pinch of grated nutmeg
pinch of ground cloves
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Combine water, sugar, lemon juice, and salt in 9x13 baking dish.
2. Add butter (chopped into small pieces) in dish and top with apples.
3. Roast until apples are very soft, about 30-40 minutes.
4. Working in batches, pass apples through a food mill*. Stir in spices. Serve warm, room temperature, or chilled.
* Martha says if you don't have a food mill, you should core the apples before roasting, and after the're cooked, puree the apples in a food processor, and strain before adding the spices.
** I'm hoping that my friend Blobby has recovered from "The Great Sausage Debacle of 2012" and will once again try one of my recipes.